Motorcycle coverage basics
Although most states require you to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage, other types of coverage are usually optional. Ask one of our agents which laws apply in your state and understand all the coverage options available to best fit your needs.
- Liability insurance covers bodily injury and property damage that you may cause to other people involved in an accident. It does not cover injury to you or damage to your motorcycle. Guest Passenger Liability, which provides protection in the event that a passenger is injured on your motorcycle, may also be available to you, depending on state laws and the company issuing your policy.
- Motorcycle collision insurance covers damage to your motorcycle if you are involved in a collision. Your insurance company pays for damages minus your deductible (usually paid based on the book value of your bike).
- Comprehensive coverage pays for damages caused by an event other than a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism. Similar to collision coverage, your insurance company will pay for damages, minus your deductible, and will cover only the book value of the motorcycle.
- Coverage for customized motorcycle parts. Many comprehensive and collision policies will only cover the factory standard parts on your motorcycle. If you decide to add on any optional accessories such as chrome parts, a custom paint job, trailers or sidecars, check with your insurer to understand the limits of coverage. Usually you can add coverage for these parts.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage pays for damages to you and/or your property caused by another driver who is at fault and who either doesn't have insurance (uninsured) or doesn't have adequate insurance (underinsured). UM/UIM policies typically pay for medical treatment, lost wages and, in some cases, property damage.
Factors that affect your motorcycle insurance costs
- Your age, your driving record and garaging location
- Type or style of the bike you ride—for example, sport bike, cruiser or custom motorcycle
- Age of the motorcycle
- Number of miles you ride a year
- Where your bike is stored
Motorcycle insurance policies vary so, we will shop several companies to give you the information you need to make the right choice.
Tips for the cost-conscious rider
As with auto insurance, maintaining a good driving record with no violations will help keep your premium expense down. Some insurers also offer driver discounts and other ways to save money on your motorcycle policy. While offerings may vary by state and insurer, following is a sampling:
- Training course discounts are offered to graduates of classes such as the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) rider course. This is particularly useful for riders under the age of 25, usually considered a higher risk. You should also consider completing one of these classes if you have already had an accident.
- Multi-bike discounts can deliver savings to riders insuring more than one motorcycle. We have found that getting your policy from your auto or home insurer may qualify you for a multi-policy discount.
- Organization member discounts might be available if you belong to a motorcycle clubs or other associations.
- Mature rider discounts often help experienced riders save money.
You Also May Be Interested In The Following Personal Line Coverage
Jackson Insurance Solutions is a full service independent insurance agency located in New Mexico. You may also be interested in the following coverage.
Personal Auto Insurance - Home Insurance - Renters Insurance - Rental Property Insurance - Umbrella Insurance - Motorcycle Insurance - Motorhome Insurance - Builders Risk Insurance
Mobile Home Insurance -Boat Insurance
Understand your car insurance and what it covers www.iii.org
Personal Insurance Specialists
Why submit a form online?
An Independent insurance agency for the State of New Mexico
Jackson Insurance Solutions provide personal line insurance for the state of New Mexico serving the communities of Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Edgewood, Tijeras, Cedar Crest, Sandia Park, Golden, Madrid and Cerrillos.